Thursday, May 24, 2012

June Column - Who Needs a Tony??

Look at these lead actress Tony winners. What do you think?


Nina Arianda for Venus in Fur
Audra McDonald for Gershwin's Porgy and Bess


Well, dollcakes, I've never been nominated for any role I've played en mi vida...but I can guess that once you are, you have to keep face and pretend you're happy for your fellow nominees when you know deep down you want to win so badly you'd KILL for it!!! How do you think these two winners measure up? Should some other nominee have won instead? Well...based on watching Tracie Bennett as Judy Garland, I couldn't see or hear a resemblance to the great legend, so I'm sure glad she didn't win! Will have to judge the overall performance for myself next year when it transfers to the Ahmanson for a spring run. Nina Arianda (pictured) seemed so pretty, fresh and vulnerable, I would just love to see her performance - I'm sure she's delectable! And...I adore Miss Audra McDonald. Her voice is one of the very best on Broadway, but she's already won 4 Tonys, so I would have preferred to see Jan Maxwell pick one up for her scintillating performance in Follies. Was also disappointed that Follies did not win Best Revival of a Musical. I've heard bad things about this Porgy and Bess, so I can only imagine that since Follies won Best Musical originally in the 70s, voters decided to pass to something else. Quel dommage!
As far as the overall Tony broadcast is concerned, let's bring back Hugh Jackman as host. He's ever so much more exciting than Neil P Harris! Happy to see Diva Lupone in the opening and so sparkling with Mandy as they sang some cute ditties while announcing Best Revival of a Musical.
Til next year, dolls, remember an award is just an award, it's the performance that will be remembered, not the award! Losers, get your heads out of the oven and smell the roses!
lol
dona


'til July when I'll bring along some fireworks to throw atcha!
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment